Flexibility

 When faced with a new situation or an anxiety producing event, many people struggle with flexible thinking. “Flexible thinking (or cognitive flexibility) allows us to shift gears and think about something in more than one way. It plays an important role in both learning and daily life.”  https://www.understood.org/en/learning-thinking-differences/child-learning-disabilities/executive-functioning-issues/flexible-thinking-what-you-need-to-know

Each day I will offer a new word that children and families can reflect on.  By intentionally “thinking about our thinking,” we can grow in our abilities to solve problems and cope with a variety of challenges that we are faced with.  I will start with my thoughts about each word, thinking of the challenges I had with that concept each day and some of the positives that resulted from these challenges. I will also include a goal that can be used to help us change our way of thinking.

My Reflections:

2 Challenges
·     Trying to figure out how to do my job in a distance learning format
·     Planning ways that I could keep both of my children occupied today

2 Positives
·      I learned that I had an extra hour of my day because I did not have to drive back and forth to work.
·     My children and I were able to deliver food to a friend during the afternoon that we would not have had the chance to do if we were busy with our normal activities.

What can you do differently tomorrow to be a more flexible thinker?
·      I decided to create this daily reflection to help me think about my role in a more flexible way.  I will plan to create a new word each day that families can use to spark discussion and “think about their thinking.” 

Your Reflections:

2 Challenges
*
*

2 Positives
*
*

What can you do differently tomorrow to be a more flexible thinker?

*

Comments

Popular Posts